This is a great summer dessert, perfect for backyard barbecues or picnics.
Strawberry Shortcake w/Buttermilk Biscuits
- BUTTERMILK BISCUITS:
- 1/2 cups unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of cold buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons of cold buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- STRAWBERRY SAUCE:
- 3 baskets of fresh strawberries, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup sugar (if strawberries are all ready sweet, use 1/4 cup)
- WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING:
- 1 container of cool whip (I prefer extra creamy)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- BUTTERMILK BISCUITS: Pre-heat oven to 475 degrees F.
- Cut cold butter into small cubes and keep cold and hard.
- Stir dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter using either a pastry blender, or your fingers until mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Stir in buttermilk using a fork.
- Knead 3 to 4 turns on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll or pat dough in a rectangle.
- Cut out biscuits using a 3″ circle cutter or use a cup.
- Place 2 inches apart on a baking pan. Brush tops with melted butter
- Bake on top shelf of oven 16 to 18 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack.
- STRAWBERRY SAUCE: Remove the stems from the strawberries.
- Slice into thin slices and put into a large bowl.
- Add sugar and mix into the strawberries.
- Set aside at room temperature for about 20 minutes. This help release the juice from the strawberries.
- Take a potato masher or fork and mash them a little.
- WHIPPED TOPPING: Whip the cream in a medium bowl
- Add a 1 teaspoon vanilla and i teaspoon sugar.
- To serve take one biscuit and break it in half. Place in a bowl, ladle strawberry sauce on top, then top with whipped cream topping (a large spoon full).