Great side dish or main course! Goes great with anything BBQ!
Swagalicious Mac & Cheese
- 6 slices of good-quality white bread, crusts removed, torn into 1/4″ pieces
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for dish
- 5 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 1/2 cups (about 18 ounces of grated white cheddar
- 1 cup of pecorino romano
- 2 cups of gruyere
- 1 pound of elbow macaroni
- 1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish; set aside. Place bread pieces in a medium bowl. In a small sauce pan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Pour butter into the bowl with bread, and toss. Set breadcrumbs aside. In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, heat milk. Melt remaining 6 tablespoons of butter in high-sided skillet over medium heat. When butter bubbles, add flour. Cook, stiring, 1 minute.
- 2. Slowly pour hot milk into flour-butter mixture while whisking. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles become thick.
- 3. Remove the pan from heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, pepper, cayenne pepper, 3 cups of white cheddar, 1 1/2 cups of gruyere, and 1 cup of pecorino romano. Set cheese sauce aside.
- 4. Fill a large sauce pan with water. Bring to a boil. Add macaroni; cook 2 to 3 fewer minutes that directions say. Drain macaroni in a colander, rinse under cold water, and drain well. Stir macaroni into the reserve cheese sauce.
- 5. Pour mixture into the casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 cups of white cheddar, 1/2 cup of gruyere, and a 1/4 cup of pecorino romano; scatter bread crumbs over top. Bake until browned on top, about 30 minutes. Take out of oven and cool for about 5 minutes, then serve.